Is it safe to feed toddlers raisins? If yes, how many?

As parents, we want our children to develop healthy eating habits from very early. Being aware of the fact that dry fruits add to their development and growth. A most common question is when we start with raisins.

For babies, providing dried fruit in their diet is a great way to provide essential nutrients that are not found in other foods. Therefore, due to the development of their baby, it is strongly recommended to eat raisins. However, when you feed your baby solid food, you can’t just give him raisins. You should be more careful when appropriate We will discuss all of this in the following article. It’s best to keep off feeding your baby under 18 months old for mostly two reasons. First-raisins (and dried fruits in general) are a risk factor for babies under 12 months of age. 

Second, raisins contain a lot of sugar (even though they are natural sugar), so it’s a good idea to limit your baby when you start having a very hard time. You have no substitute for sweets. Nearly 20 months old, eat raisins for the first time.

Are Raisins Healthy for Babies?

Raisins are a good snack for young children when served normally. The nutritional profile of the fruit changes from fresh grapes to dried raisins, and dehydration concentrates the beneficial nutrients and vitamins (and their sugar content). Raisins contain more copper, iron, and vitamin B6 than fresh grapes, but they contain four times as much sugar. There are some differences in the nutritional profiles of each different type of raisin, with golden raisins having more fiber, protein, and B vitamins than their golden and purple relatives.

Raisins not only encourage strong energy and provide nutrients to your child’s diet but they should also be served as a snack rather than a daily non-dairy meal. Also, keep in mind when buying raisins:

Grapes are regular on the production chart with most insecticide sprays, so buy organic raisins if your budget allows.

How many raisins should your child eat?

Raisins contain high sugar content. It is recommended to serve small portions every day. In the beginning, 1-2 tablespoons of raisin juice per day are sufficient and can be gradually increased to 2-3 teaspoons per day. When children are over 1 year old, 2-3 teaspoons of spices or chopped raisins can be incorporated into their diet.

Let’s learn about the pros and cons of feeding raisins.

Pros:

When looking at the nutritional information about raisins, it is easy to understand why some people think they are nature’s best food, especially for children, because they:

  • It is a good source of iron and contains some calcium.
  • It is also a good source of potassium.
  • The fiber content is quite high (2 grams per serving), which is better if your child suffers from constipation.
  • Low cholesterol
  • Low fat

Raisins contain a lot of sugar, but they are natural, simple sugars, which are healthier than the sugars in other sweets. In addition, some studies have concluded that raisins have antibacterial properties to prevent tooth decay.

is it safe to eat raisins

A review of the literature in the Journal of Food Science in 2013 found that raisins may have never been considered carcinogenic and may have antibacterial properties that can reduce oral bacteria that cause dental disease. Although raisins are sweet and sticky, studies have shown that they don’t last long enough to promote tooth decay. More research is needed to verify these theories.

Cons:

There are so many things in raisins, why not give them to children?

  • Some doctors mix raisins with all other junk food the children eat. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), gluten-free foods such as dried fruits (including raisins) can damage your teeth because they last longer on your teeth than other types of foods.
  • If your child often eats raisins and other dried fruits, ADA recommends that you wash your face with a brush after meals and rinse them carefully to remove raisins residue.

Also, remember that not all raisins are created equal. Many commercial grains contain raisins coated with refined sugar. It is best to buy unflavoured raisins or mix them yourself. In addition, the effect of raisins on a child’s teeth depends on how much and how often he eats.

Are raisins a common risk for children?

Yes, it is. Dried fruits with raisins are a serious risk for children. Raisins and dried fruits are best to keep away from your child until they are at least 18 months old. However, be careful to produce dried fruit as it reduces the risk of breathing. It is a common method to soak raisins in hot water until they are tender. You can use powdered raisins as a natural sweetener in your baby’s favorite foods, such as grains, oats, or yogurt.

Are raisins a common allergen?

Any allergies to raisins are rare. Of course, raisins and dried fruits are high in histamine, which can lead to allergic reactions and upper respiratory illness. As with any new food, first, introduce a small amount and keep a close eye on the baby’s diet. If no adverse reactions occur, its dosage may gradually increase during subsequent use.

What are ways to fortify dried fruits?

If your kid isn’t ready to eat big chunks of dried fruit on his own, you’re in luck! There are many ways to serve them safely. The main reason to remember for babies aged 7 to 18 months is that dried fruits have a great effect on the digestive system. These can usually be coated with a sugar coating, which can cause tooth decay or a choking hazard.

Antara Chowdhary

Antara Chowdhury is a Content Marketer and Strategist with 6 years of experience. She is Master degree holder in Journalism and wants to explore everything she can write on.

Leave a Comment