Is yoga safe during pregnancy?
YES, The phase of transforming from a woman to a mother is a special time for every woman. From pregnancy till the delivery a woman sees several changes. During pregnancy, there are plenty of things we have to take care of. Yoga is one such thing that helps us in keeping our body healthy and gives peace of mind. Some people think that yoga is not safe for a pregnant woman, but it is not like that. It is not about only twisting and turning your body. If done correctly, this is the best physical activity for a pregnant woman. Yoga calms your body and mind, which is much needed in pregnancy.
Yoga during pregnancy helps in adjusting with the physical demand of pregnancy and labour. It is even helpful for a smooth delivery and post-delivery phase. A woman needs physical as well as mental stress relief during pregnancy, and this is where yoga comes into play.
Performing prenatal yoga during pregnancy helps in getting normal delivery. Here are some yoga poses that a pregnant woman can perform to remain fit during the phase:
- Butterfly stretch
- Side-angle pose
- Seated forward bend
- Triangle pose
- Standing forward bend
How To Do Yoga During Pregnancy?
You should take care of your each, and every movement during pregnancy so is with yoga. Despite following Yoga videos or DVDs, it is better to go for a qualified yoga instructor.
A trained yoga instructor can guide you better than any DVD or recorded video. The best part about a specialized instructor is you get to know about the yoga poses suitable for your body. Your instructor will help you out to chalk out your yoga plan keeping your physical state and stage of pregnancy in mind.
Some Guidelines You Should Follow While Practicing Yoga During Pregnancy:
- If you are continuing your regular yoga classes, make sure you inform your instructor about your pregnancy. Make sure you tell them about the trimester you are in.
- After the second trimester, the body’s centre of gravity shifts. During this period, make sure you use some support for your exercises to maintain balance on your toes or heels.
- Try to keep the pelvis in a neutral position during yoga by engaging the abdominal muscles. Tuck the tailbone slightly down. This will help you in preventing sciatic pain, which many women face during pregnancy.
Effective Yoga Poses for Different Trimester
First Trimester Asanas
- The Mountain pose/Tadasana
- Marjariasana/ Cat Pose
- Standing Forward Bend/ Uttanasana
- Corpse Pose/ Shavasana
Second Trimester Asanas
- Warrior Pose/ Virabhadrasana
- Meru Aksharshanasan
Third Trimester Asanas
- Trikonasana/ Triangle Pose
- Upavistha Konasana
Top Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
- Helps in improving sleep
- Reduces headache
- Helps you in getting rid of lower back pain and sciatic pain.
- Decreases nausea
- Reduces risk of preterm labour
- Reduces physical and emotional stress
- Breathing exercises help you to prepare for labour
- Boosts the strength, endurance and flexibility of the mother
- Decreases the risk of intrauterine growth restriction. It is a condition which slows the baby’s growth
- Decreases the chances of carpal tunnel syndrome or pain in hand and fingers caused by nerve compression.
Some Safety Tips for Pregnant Women
- Consult your doctor before you start prenatal yoga as every female body is different so always ask doctor is yoga safe during pregnancy.
- Be gentle with your Yoga poses and never push yourself.
- Stay hydrated and practice in a well-ventilated room.
- Know the postures you need to avoid.