From calculating and tracking the fertility window to taking the right supplements, you have given it you’re all. But suddenly you got a question “I know what days but what about the time of the day,” “is that even relevant”?
Is it morning? Afternoon? Night?
Yes, you will be surprised to know the time of the day does play a part in the whole conception.
Now we know that there is a fertility window between two consecutive periods and that it is the time when your fertility is at its peak. These three to five days in and around the fertility window, also known as the ovulation period, plays an essential role in your pregnancy. During this egg matures and is released into the fallopian tubes, and with an active sperm, conceiving will be a piece of cake.
So, when should you do it in order to conceive?
A few studies have been carried out to shed some light on this topic. It takes two people to get pregnant, so it’s essential to understand what and how male and female hormones work.
Testosterone is a sex hormone found in men and women, although in women, it is in smaller quantities. This hormone is linked with sex drive in both males and females and plays a crucial role in sperm production. In women, it affects fertility.
Estrogen and Progesterone
These are known as female sex hormones. Estrogen and Progesterone play a vital role in reproductive and sexual development. Progesterone helps to keep your period stable and prepares the body for pregnancy. These hormone levels increases during ovulation.
Testosterone levels keep changing throughout the day. This change in levels can impact your performance and result in energy loss and cognitive difficulties.
Studies have shown that men are at their best when they wake up, unlike women, who are at their lowest in the early morning. In contrast to that, women are more on the active side compared to men at night. This is due to the change in hormones.
Even before men wake up, the levels of testosterone are at a peak. The levels are between 25-50% more than any other time of the day. This is due to the pituitary gland, which rules the production of the male sex hormone. The production of this starts at night and rises steadily until dawn. The levels of testosterone are the highest between 4 am to 8 am and are at their peak at 7 am. This is why experts say that the best time for having intercourse is early in the morning hours. At this time, hormones are at their best, and men are least stressed and have more energy, which positively contributes to erectile function.
A study tells that getting asleep for more than 5 hours can raise testosterone levels in males by 15%. Therefore, getting intimate in the early mornings will increase your chances to conceive. The semen quality at this period is said to be much higher than the remaining of the day.
Testosterone is essential because it has a link with sperm production.
When testosterone levels are high, so is the sperm count. Therefore, in the early morning, the sperm count is higher, which means more sperm/increased chances to fertilize the egg.
Throughout the day, levels of the hormones in men rise and fall every 90 minutes, naturally regulated by the body. But a study conducted on men states that sperm motility and quantity are at a peak during the late afternoon hours. Motility means an increased likelihood of a sperm reaching the egg.
While testosterone levels in men are at a peak in the early mornings, libido is at its peak between 10 pm to 1 am. Therefore you have several windows to pick from to try to conceive.
Male and female hormone levels are at the opposite ends of the day.
When it comes to women, we know that women also make testosterone in their bodies but in tinier quantities. Only a slight rise is seen in the levels of women overnight. The testosterone levels are kept in check by the estrogen and Progesterone.
As evening comes, so come the rise in hormone levels in women. Studies say that most women ovulate in the time leading to midnight. Therefore it is considered to be an ideal time of day for intercourse in order to get pregnant.
Even though this time testosterone levels are lowest in men, they are still than that of women. Men only need a regular amount of testosterone to get into the mood for sex, and therefore since the women are at their peak, they can try to conceive during this period.
Some giveaway facts on hormones:
- During the day, the levels of stress hormone cortisol rise, which helps to get out of bed and reduces the effect of sex hormones. Cortisol lowers the sex drive of both males and females.
- The levels of testosterone reduce as you get older.
- Gym Activities are known to increase libido in both males and females.
- A study reveals that music boosts testosterone levels in the woman but reduces them in men.
- A study states that the worst time to have sexual activity is between 8 pm to 10 pm.
- Sleep deprivation significantly reduces sex hormone levels in both men and women.
Other than the time of the day, what other things matter?
What matters in conceving
- A women’s hormone levels are more dependent on the menstrual cycle rather than on the day. The hormone levels rise and fall throughout the cycle. At midway, the levels of testosterone to be 30 times higher than at the start of the cycle. So women should focus more on the cycle.
- A study tells that it takes women more than just hormones. A woman who sees herself as non-attractive or overweight can have her feelings override the hormones. Therefore, all a women needs are to be confident in herself and forsake all insecurities and doubts.
- A healthy body is most important. A healthy body will always be more likely to conceive. So, habits such as smoking, drinking, eating junk will reduce the odds of pregnancy. Consume healthy food and living a stress-free life have always been known to increase the chances of pregnancy. A healthy body with balanced hormones improves sperm quality in men and enhances pregnancy quality in a woman.
So, with a day of ovulation, correct time, and correct hormone levels, you are sure to conceive.